July 5 2017
Beginning here is a list of Hotels that have existed or are currently existing in Deniliquin, this list will be updated over time.
Records have been patchy with the life and death of Hotels falling through the Historical gaps.
The aim at this present time is to get as much pre 1950 history as possible and then slowly move forward towards the 21st century.
Castlemaine Hotel –> Bendigo Hotel
Bendigo Hotel existed on spot of Laughing Chicken until the early 1920’s when it was de-licensed.
In 1879 there was a report that a woman was put on trial for having a ‘Bawdy house’ next to the Bendigo.
In 1912, O Lester brought the hotel and the building was let to Frank Trist who occupied the building in December 1912, O. Lester owned the building until his death and was then run by his executors until the closure of the Bendigo Hotel.
W.J Bott was the licensee of the Hotel in 1919.
In 1921, the license changed from from R. McKindlay to H. G. Winter.
J.H Charleston was the last licensee of the Hotel.
Ads appeared weekly in The Independent until the February 10 1922 edition of the paper.
The Bendigo Hotel was de-licensed and closed on June 30 1922.
The demolition of the Hotel is unknown though in November 1924 there was an auction held at the location referred to ‘The Old Bendigo Hotel’.
Bridge Hotel –> Central Hotel
Considered one of the oldest hotels in Deniliquin, the Central was originally the Bridge Hotel.
Alexander F. Steavenson (1877-1878), James Ashton (1879-81), George McLeod are some of the names mentioned as running the hotel between 1877 and 1882.
The hotel was purchased by Mr Ersnstien for £900 and made Mrs Mahon the landlady in September 1883.
In 1911, the license was transferred from John T. Bouchier to Thomas Daly.
In 1929, the Central was called upon to have the premises sewered along with two other Hotels in the area.
In 1932, A man was fined for being found walking through the yard of the Hotel with a bottle of beer on a Sunday
In 1933, Arthur Leslie Bott was fined for having the bar open on a Sunday and four others were fined for being on the premises during prohibited hours.
In 1936, Arthur Bott transferred the license to Gerald Duncan Munro.
In 1940, James Hall was mentioned as the licensee of the Central Hotel when he died at the age of 64, the license was transferred to Mrs Frances Hall in 1941.
In 1940, The Age in Melbourne reported on the Central Hotel being rebuilt into the building it is today.
The rebuilding of the hotel gave it 12 more bedrooms, a bar, three parlors and a ladies lounge.
House That Jack Built –> Pyke’s Hotel –> Union Club Hotel
The Union Club Hotel existed on the corner of George and Napier Street.
Robert Pyke drowned in North Deniliquin in 1879 despite attempts by workers of the Brick-kilns to rescue him.
Pyke’s Hotel was rebuilt after 1887 fire destroyed it.
In 1903, Mr J. Kelly as auctioneer leased the hotel to Mr M. Kennedy.
In 1905, the Hotel and four other brick and weatherboard shops were sold for £1050 to A.H Windeyer.
In 1907 Robert Baxter was the licensee and beat a charge ‘serving’ liquor to a person who was prohibited from it.
The publicans license for the Union Club Hotel was cancelled on June the 2nd 1920 and in 1922 owner James McKenzie was compensated £830 for the Hotel’s closure.
The former hotel building was demolished in the 1930’s to make way for the Deniliquin Motor Company.
Dublin Hotel (Napier Street)
The Dublin Hotel building while it has stopped trading as a hotel in 1922 is still standing in Napier Street.
The first record in the Government Gazette was in the 1877 edition with Elizabeth Mullen listed as Publican, the interesting thing about the record is that it says the Dublin was in Cressy Street.
The first found newspaper entry is not a nice one as Hotel landlord Stephen Mullen was reported to have died after falling from a vehicle in March 1877.
In 1877 a lamp outside the Dublin Hotel was damaged during a series of property damage on Hotels in Deniliquin at the time.
Charles Blacket Harrison was the next publican when the Gazette was published in 1878 and in 1880 Elizabeth Harrison was listed.
Mr Harrison was summoned to court in 1878 and was charged with permitting gaming in his licensed house, the charge was dismissed.
In 1880, a report in the newspaper reported that ‘an hotel is being built by Messrs.
Hunter and Sons for Mrs. Harrison, of the present Dublin Hotel, and it is expected to be completed next month’.
This explains why the first couple of years of the Hotels existence had the hotel at Cressy Street because it was at Cressy Street then they built and moved into the premises in Napier Street where it stayed until 1922.
John Bott became licensee of the Dublin in 1890 after leasing the building from Mr Brophy.
The Dublin Hotel was lightly damaged by fire in 1892 and was sold for 2200 pounds in 1897.
The Dublin was described as having 18ft of frontage, a bottom floor made of brick whilst the top floor was made of wood.
In 1906, John Bott was brought to court on the charge of having two people on his premises on Sunday October 21st 1906.
John Bott was noted in 1916 as celebrating 26 years as the licencee of the Dublin and would continue to run the hotel until it was de-licensed and closed on June 30 1922.
The last Licencee of the hotel was William J Bott and the last owner was Elliot’s Riverine Brewery Co.
An auction was held on July 6 1922 to sell all items from the Hotel.
Federal Hotel (Still Standing)
The Federal Hotel replaced the Black Swan Hotel after the fire in 1896.
It was opened in 1897 and was run by Mr John Geraghty.
John Andrew McInnes held the license until 1912 when James Hall taken over and held it until 1927 before making way for James Robinson.
The Federal Hotel has changed shape over the years with the brick veranda added after 1927 though you can see the pre-1927 structure if you look from the war memorial.
In 1941, the licensee Mrs I. Robinson sought an extension of time allotted in which to repair the balcony of the Hotel.
There have been fears in recent years that the Federal would be demolished but thankfully it was brought and retained for future use.
Terminus (1876-1891) – -> Drover’s Arms (1892-98) –> Oddfellows (1898-1922) –> Pig & Whistle (1922-1942)
The Terminus was built the year Deniliquin was connected to Victoria by rail.
The first record in the Government Gazette was in 1876 with John McGrath running the hotel.
Honora McGrath was the next to run the Hotel and was listed as doing so from 1886 until 1891.
In 1892, the Terminus was renamed the Drover’s Arms Hotel and Thomas W Dixon was running the Hotel.
A fire destroyed a small dwelling at the back of the hotel in 1908.
The Oddfellows was de-licensed on June 30 1922 and the Riverine Brewery Co was compensated £780 whilst Mr Foley was compensated £120 as licencee.
Pig & Whistle then opened in the Oddfellows place and operated until it was converted into residences in 1942 and demolished in the early part of the 21st century after a fire ripped through it in 2004.
The hotels existed on the corner of Poictiers and Hardinge Streets now site of Deni Party Hire.
(2005 Google Earth image of the Pig & Whistle)
Victoria Hotel (North Deniliquin)
Was located on the corner of Herriott and Davidson St, around 360 metres from the Edward River Hotel.
The first mention was recorded on March 24 1877 as ‘Mr Hodgkins intends erecting a new hotel at a cost of £1000 between North and South Deniliquin’.
The hotel was last owned in 1922 by the Riverine Brewery Co. and the last licencee was Walter Leonard Bott.
Described as having seven bedrooms (three for family use), it also had three parlours, a bar, dining room, kitchen, laundry, bathroom and stables.
In 1902, John Purcell transferred his license of the Hotel to Allan Cameron.
The Victoria Hotel was de-licensed on June 30 1922 and an auction of furniture and effects was held the same day.
In 1933, the hotel was mentioned when a delivery bus crashed near where the former hotel stood.
Supreme Court Hotel –> Globe Hotel (Still Standing, rebuilt after 1883 fire )
In September 1867, Mr Joseph Simpson applied for a house to be called ‘The Supreme Court Hotel’, the Hotel was described to be in the corner of Mr Simpson’s Blacksmith’s yard opposite the telegraph office.
Mr Simpson was known for being the first Blacksmith in Deniliquin.
A fire damaged The Globe in 1883 and it was rebuilt to be operational again a short time later.
Francis Sparrow was running the hotel from the late 1800’s into the early 1900’s.
In 1909, John Moroney transferred the license of the Hotel to C.B Finemore.
It is believed that C.B Finemore transferred the license of the Globe to Louis Frank Probert in 1912.
In 1914, Mr Probert was fined for having somebody in the Globe during a time the hotel should not be opened for the sale of liquor.
In 1919, Mr Probert was fined £3 for having six people at the hotel during hours the hotel should not be selling liquor.
In 1920, Mr Probert was granted permission to make extensions to the premises.
Mr Probert was fined £4 for having a wireless without a license in the parlour of the hotel.
A woman working at the Hotel died from a cerebral hemorrhage in 1935.
The Independent reported in April 1939 that after twenty years Mr Probert handed over management of the hotel to Mr J. J. O’Shea though if he taken over the license in 1912 the total would be 27 years.
It was reported in January 1945 that Mr and Mrs Jack O’Shea sold their interest in the Hotel.
In 1946, A.C Kirby transferred the license to the Hotel to Mr. C. Long
In 1946, an application was made to completely demolish and rebuilt the Hotel.
Carriers’ Rest Hotel –> Railway Hotel
The Carriers’ Rest was located where the Railway Hotel currently stands.
In 1903 Mr J. Kelly as auctioneer leased the hotel to Mr E. J. Rogers.
In 1913, Mr G. Pollard sold his interest in the Hotel to Frank Trist.
In 1921, The Carriers’ Rest was one of several Hotels in the area that was under threat of de-licensing.
It was felt that Deniliquin had too many Hotels and some must close with the Kyneton Club Hotel and Carriers’ Rest in the firing line to stay open in Napier Street.
It was decided to close the Carriers’ Rest Hotel in 1922.
An auction was held to sell off items on June the 27th and June the 29th 1922, Frank Trist was awarded £1650 in compensation.
The Carriers’ Rest was de-licensed and closed on June 30 1922 and Frank Trist died in 1936.
After the Carrier’s Rest was closed, it was reopened as the Railway Hotel after 1924 as a fire destroyed the Railway Refreshment Rooms next to the Railway platform.
In November 1924, tenders were invited for general renovations to the building known as the Carrier’s Rest Hotel and was signed C Carpenter – Railway Hotel.
In 1927, Mr C Carpenter gave the lease of the Hotel to Mr. Alex McPhee.
In 1931, The license of the Hotel was transferred from F. Owens to D.H Munro (other reports have G.D Munro).
In November 1932, the buildings that made up the Railway Hotel were put up for auction for removal so a new Railway Hotel
The Railway Hotel was re-opened on April 16 1933.
In 1941, The Hotel licensee was W. Hart and there were reports the Hotel was going to be called the Riverina Hotel.
Carriers’ Arms Hotel
Not related to the Carrier’s Rest Hotel, the Carriers’ Arms Hotel was located around 6 miles from Deniliquin.
In 1869, the landlord of the Hotel was Mr Martin Flanigan.
In 1875, the license of the Carriers’ Arms was transferred by Mr Holloway to ‘Pretty Pine’.
The Hotel was under Mr Cowley in 1877, Mr Cowley died in 1880.
In 1877, A meeting was held at the Hotel to establish a branch of the Hibernian-Australia Catholic Benefit Society.
Five people were charged with stealing from the hotel in March 1880, three of the defendants were found guilty whilst the other two were acquitted.
In 1905, the license was transferred from Thomas Malin to William Hurst.
White Lion Hotel
Known as The Zoo, there have been two buildings as the White Lion.
In 1874, William Simpson who was landlord of the Hotel died.
The White Lion was robbed in 1884 after a man drew out two people by claiming their horses were being strangled and while they investigated items were stolen.
On October 8 1896, The White Lion was put up for sale at the Royal Hotel.
The Hotel survived the de-licensing investigations of 1921 despite the seven room, brick wall and iron roofed building being considered to be in a very bad state of repair.
In 1932, White Lion licensee Mr Reuben Robert Green died at the of 48.
In 1958 the current White Lion opened.
Black Swan Inn/Hotel
First record appears to been made in the February 1881 Government Gazette with George McLeod running the Hotel.
An April 1882 account mentions the license being transferred from John McLeod to Mr Smith, this could possibly be an error.
Mary J Smith was listed as running the hotel in 1882 followed by Francis D. Bassett in 1883.
Destroyed in an 1896 fire that also destroyed several nearby businesses.
The fire made news in several colonies (states referred to as colonies pre 1901) and was infamous because of a Firefighters strike was taking place at the time of the fire and the fire brigade refused to stop the fire that could of saved the Black Swan.
If the fire was prevented there is little to no doubt that Deniliquin’s hotel scene would of drastically been altered.
Edward River Hotel (still standing, North Deniliquin)
Nicknamed the Buncha, this Hotel has withstood several floods (1889, 1917, 1956) and damage from an 1890 storm.
In 1876, Henry Willmoor was granted a license for the Hotel, his was one of only two town licences granted out of seven applications.
In 1882, The Hotel went from Mr Willmoor to Mr P. J. O’Reilly.
In 1883, the publican listed in the Government Gazette was Mary J. Smith
In 1900, James Mckenzie was listed as the publican/licence and in 1906 he was fined for having two patrons on the premises on a Sunday.
In 1921, the licensee of the Hotel was Mrs L. Donovan and the hotel was described at the time to have 12 bedrooms (4 for family), three parlors, dining room, billiard room, kitchen, a 12 stall stable and loose boxes.
The Executrices of Thomas Hetherington put the Edward River Hotel on sale on June 13 1922.
A branch of the ALP was formed at the hotel in July 1925 with Arthur Sullivan appointed President and John Donovan secretary.
A man was fatally injured in a fight outside the hotel in 1928 and hitting his head on a metal roadway.
In 1934, two bicycles were stolen from the premises.
In 1936, the lease of the hotel was sold by Mrs L. J. Donovan to Mr R. Donovan.
In 1938, Mr W. Hawkshaw brought the lease of the Hotel from Mr Roy Donovan.
In 1937, three bags of Chaff were stolen from a shed and in 1939 there was a theft of Cigarettes and Liquor.
In 1939, Mr Hawkshaw ‘disposed of his business’ due to ill health and the business was taken up by Mr Lawrence from Melbourne.
In 1944, Percy Lynch was mentioned as the licensee when he was fined for failing to enter than names of the lodgers in the register.
A baby car was stolen from the front of the hotel in September 1945, it was believed to been driven to Mathoura before being left outside the Air Station in Deniliquin.
In 1949, the license of the Hotel was transferred to Molly Anne D’Argeaval and in December of that same year £349 and the cash box it was contained in was stolen from the hotel.
Faugh-a-Ballagh –> Sportsman’s Arms Hotel (still exists)
Opened in 1857, It changed its name soon after to Sportsman’s Arms.
In 1887, William Heriot left the Sportsman’s Arms after 15 years to go to Melbourne but returned shortly after to run the Globe Hotel.
In May 1904, the Hotel’s new premises was completed.
In 1915, William Morran was licencee and 3 and 2s for breaching the Liquor Act, William Morran died in Elwood in 1928.
In 1924, the proprietor of was W.H Oxenham.
In 1928, J.H Charleston secured a lease of the Hotel and held it until his death in 1929.
Also in 1928, Walter Bott was mentioned as being the licensee of the Hotel as he and four others were fined for being on the premises after prohibited hours.
In 1930, Les Bott handed over the license to Mr J. Danckert.
In 1947, Hotel owner Wallace Stillard’s plane disappeared and the aircraft and his remains were found in 1948.
Trivia: Faugh-a-Ballagh was also the name of several horses.
Exchange Hotel (South Deniliquin)
The Exchange Hotel has been a fixture on End Street for many, many years.
The earliest record from newspapers recorded that the licensee of the Hotel, Mr Richard De Custer was sued for libel.
The hotel faced tragedy in 1878 and 1880 and 1882 with the deaths of a worker (1878), the wife of the publican at the time in the Edward River (1880) and the possible murder of a man at the rear of the hotel in 1882 all three could make the hotel seem haunted.
Mr H. Hawkins brought the hotel for £425 in late August 1887.
In 1888, a destructive fire brought a narrow escape for Mrs Austin and children.
1901 Mr John Kelly as auctioneer leased the hotel to Harry Trist for a term of 5 years as well as selling the furniture and effects, goodwill and stock in trade to Mr Trist.
In 1902, Harry Trist was fined for having a cask that did not have a duty stamp on it, the manager of the local brewery was fined for not putting the stamp on the cask.
In 1908, Frank Trist was accidentally mailed 20 tins of Opium that was intended for another Deniliquin location.
In 1914, The Independent reported that Charles Langshaw was the licensee of the Hotel.
In 1920, E.T Matthews oversaw the sale of the Exchange.
In 1928, The license for the Exchange Hotel was transferred to the Wakool Hotel.
An auction was held on November 14 1928 and described the place as Lot 2, Section 17 and described the Exchange as containing 22 rooms.
In 1929, The Hotel was reported to have been rebuilt and reopened under the guidance of Mr Jack Grieve.
The hotel was described to have a total of twelve single and double bedrooms and were apart from the staff accommodation.
In 1931, the Exchange received the license of the Kyneton Club Hotel.
Additions were made to the hotel in 1933 after a successful application was put in by Mr P.F Phillips and the additions were described to be ‘a portion of an hotel, an old wooden structure which had been ordered to be abolished’
In 1936, former licensee Frank Trist died and it was mentioned in The Independent reporting his death that the Exchange ‘has been delicensed for some years’.
In 1949, The license of the Hotel transferred from Robert Cookman to Thomas Hyslop.
Royal Hotel –> Coach House Motor Inn –> Royal Colonial Hotel Motel –> Coach House
The Royal Hotel had at least three fires between 1858 and 1861 with the third fire resulting in a death when its stables were set alight.
In 1886, Henry Cheswick brought the hotel for £4100 at an auction in Melbourne, it was until that point owned by a limited liability company.
Mr E. G. Sweet brought the freehold, building, furniture and goodwill of the Royal for £5000 in 1914.
In 1925, tenders were wanted for repairs, additions and alterations to the Hotel.
In 1927, Mrs E. H. Oxenham was injured when she fell down the cellar stairs of the Hotel.
The Hotel made news in the 1930’s when a Cow decided to pay a visit, the Cow made its way upstairs and into a bedroom before leaving the premises.
In 1946, the hotel license was reported in The Independent to have transferred from S. T. Willoughby to Thomas Gregory Cooper (Hooper?).
In 1948 the proprietor of the Hotel was Mr. T. G. Hooper.
The Royal Hotel was demolished in the 1960’s in a decade the town lost the Court House, Tattersall’s and Royal.
The Coach House Motor Inn was later built on the site and it has traded as various names since.
The Shamrock Hotel
Was located in Victoria Street where it still exists as a house.
The Shamrock was flooded in the 1870 floods.
Run by Lee Henry in 1871-72 up to 1876 (
From 1879 to 1882, The Hotel was run by Nicholas Butterly.
In 1883, John Allen was listed as running the Shamrock in a supplement of the Government Gazette.
After the 1883, there are no further entries in the Government Gazette.
The Queensland Hotel (North Deniliquin c1878)
The Queensland Hotel was mentioned in February 1878 being owned by Mr Robert Middlemiss and it would be the 29th Hotel in Deniliquin at the time with the 30th being The Continental .
In August 1878 the Queensland Hotel was listed as being in Albert Street, Deniliquin.
In December 1878, a publicans license was granted to G. McLeod.
The Court House Hotel
The Court House Hotel was a popular hotel that existed into the late 1960’s, the site of the Hotel is where Target is today.
The first record in the Government Gazettes was in 1867 with William Kiely running the hotel and the next year Robert McCullough was listed as running the establishment.
In 1869, Decimus Lamb taken over before Robert Harry Pyke was listed in 1870 meaning that nobody held it for less than two years.
William McDonald was listed in 1871 and began what was to become a long reign as the publican of the Hotel and was last listed in the Government Gazette of 1889.
In 1877, the Hotel’s clothes line was stripped of its linen during a series of property damage to Deniliquin’s hotels.
Eliza McDonald taken over in 1890 and next to be listed was Elizabeth Brophy in 1892 and stayed until Henry J Poynter was listed in the 1896 edition and in 1898 edition James Lawson was listed as the Publican.
Henry Field was next listed when the Government Gazette of 1900 was released and Samuel James Outram was listed as running the Court House in 1901 and was last listed in 1909.
In 1910 Harry Trist was listed as running the hotel followed by Frank Trist in 1911 and Matthew Carew was listed in 1912 and John H Donovan in 1913.
John Bellett was listed in 1914 and was last listed in 1919, Theresa Maher was listed as Publican in the 1920 edition where the records from the Government Gazette/Publican Licenses stop at.
In the mid 1920’s, A garage run by Doug Everitt opened at the rear of the Hotel and faced George Street.
The side of the hotel has confused locals who looked at postcards and could see the side of the hotel facing down Cressy Street with the side like a giant house as seen in the below late 1930’s photograph.
The Court House Hotel stood until the early 1960’s when it was demolished forever changing the landscape of Cressy Street.
Was located in Harrison Street which was then part of Duncan Street, The Camperdown is known to be seen in at least one photograph.
The Camperdown was first listed in the Government Gazette of 1877 with the hotel being run by Mary Kearney.
In September 1877, a body was brought to the Camperdown and was identified by a worker of the Hotel as that of her husband who disappeared a month earlier.
The building may of still been standing as of 1928 as a report in The Independent said ‘The old Camperdown Hotel was now owned by the school’ – the school being St Michaels.
The Live & Let Live –> Brewer’s Arms
The Live & Let Live is reportedly the 13th Hotel to have been built in Deniliquin throughout its history, its location was originally End Street which was later on partly turned into Maher Street.
Later on the Hotel changed its name to the Brewer’s Arms and continued trading.
Owners of the Brewer’s Arms included John Dickson (up to 1875) and H.A Foster (post 1875) with Fredrick Fairchild being landlord in 1879 followed by George McLeod the same year.
In 1870, a man named Cother disappeared after stopping in at the Brewers Arms, he was later found to have accidentally drowned in the southern lagoon.
In 1879 the Brewer’s Arms made news when Police Constable Robert Algie was charged with stealing a watch from a patron.
In 1887, An inquest was held to determine the cause of death of Thomas Warner who accidentally drowned in the Edward River.
The Brewer’s Arms later become a house where it still stands today.
The Highlander Inn –> The Commercial Hotel –> The Australian Club Hotel –> Tattersall’s (1893)
The first found mention of the Highlander was in 1857 when a man named Henry Allen was charged with Larceny.
Listed for a time as the ‘Highlander and Irons’ Family Hotel’.
James Irons ran the hotel until 1865 and in 1866 John Joseph Roberts started running the hotel
Robert Johnston ran the Hotel from 1879 until 1882 when he returned to Echuca.
Mary Kearney taken over the Commercial in 1882 and ran it under the death of herself and three others in 1884.
Before the fire, the Commercial was considered by the Riverine Herald to be ‘one of the largest hotels in Deniliquin and considerably more commodious than any hotel in Echuca’.
In August 1884, Charles J. O’Brien was running the Hotel after the death of Mary Kearney.
In December 1884, J.B Watson donated the Hotel to Deniliquin Hospital on the condition the property is not to be sold or alienated.
From 1885 to 1888 , there was no listing of the Commercial Club Hotel.
In 1889, Francis Sparrow is listed as running the Hotel now named The Australian Club Hotel.
Thomas Hirst Dobson’s Publicans license was cancelled on August 2 1892.
C. F. De Fraga was reported to have run the hotel for three years in 1901 and the hotel was a front page fixture in The Independent.
The Independent reported in July 1901 that Mr De Fraga asked the Deniliquin Hospital for permission to transfer the license to A. Levy and the request was granted.
The following year Mr Levy asked for his five year lease of the hotel be extended to ten years.
Mr Levy transferred the license of the hotel to Mr R. A. Bazley on September 3 1906 a few months after having run the hotel for five years.
Mr C. Carpenter was made the new new licencee of the hotel in August 1911 although the license was also held by Elliot’s Riverine Brewery Co.
A crisis erupted in 1917 as the Hospital rejected an offer by the Brewery Co. and put the hotel up for tenders to bid for a five year lease.
Thomas Doolan took over the hotel and in 1920 it was reported that Mr Doolan was granted an extension though there was disagreement about the terms being followed due to the hotel’s state of repair.
In 1921, the license of the Hotel was transferred from Mr Doolan to Mr Fredrick Jager.
In 1924, Fredrick Jager transferred the license of the Hotel to Louis Thomas Bennett.
In 1930, an application was made and approved to sell the Hotel by the Deniliquin Hospital board to George Admans.
Tattersall’s was closed for six weeks in 1931 after the license fee was paid and the Hotel was listed to be owned by Deniliquin Hospital.
In 1932, the license was transferred from Colin Jones to Thomas Mulray.
In 1934, the lease was sold by Thomas Mulray to Mr T. F. Welch.
In 1937, the Hotel was sold to Mr George Clyde Oddy.
In 1939, the license was transferred from John Moore Murphy to George Henry Myall Sellman.
In 1946, The license was transferred from Thomas Michael Clarke to Harry John Pill.
In 1946, an application for the complete demolition and rebuilding of Tattersall’s was made
Tattersall’s remained standing until the 1960’s when it made way for a Caltex Service Station, the remains of the service station can be partly seen in present building.
Wanderer Inn (mentioned as Whipple’s Hotel in papers)
Was built in 1848 by Edward John Bloxham and was owned by John Taylor in North Deniliquin.
The Wanderer was famously visited by Captain Melville in 1851 and his gang who stayed for several hours before leaving after a failed attempt to pick the pockets of a boarder they waited on to fall asleep.
Mentioned in papers in 1857, 1858, 1859 and 1860 with Mr Whipple mentioned as running the Inn.
J. McDougall was recorded as running the hotel in the Government Gazette of 1865.
The Wanderer Inn burnt down on the evening of July 25th 1867 and the site of the Inn later became part of DNPS.
North Deniliquin (Arms?) –> National Hotel
First mentioned in September 1866, The National Hotel was described as being a two-storey brick building.
Last mentioned as the North Deniliquin Hotel in the 1878 Government Gazette list and being run by Thomas Robertson.
A September 1880 Government Gazette list has Anne Robertson as running the National Hotel.
Destroyed by fire in 1884 was at Victoria Street, was reported to be unoccupied for some time and the last property owner was Mr Henry Hawkins.
Belmore Arms (1875) –> Garibaldi Arms (1879) –> Guilliere’s –> Sandhurst
First record found is in 1875 with a Thomas McMillan in charge of the Hotel.
Daniel Smith was awarded a licence to run the hotel in 1877.
Mr Guilliere reportedly died in Echuca in August 1899 whilst seeking medical treatment, he was listed as the owner and licensee of the Sandhurst.
A kitchen fire killed Mrs Mary Guilliere at the Hotel in October 1901, Mrs Guilliere was listed as running the Sandhurst in August 1901.
Charles Guilliere was listed as running the Sandhurst in 1905.
In 1911, John Moroney was listed as running the Sandhurst and the license was transferred to Barham that year to become the Royal Hotel in that that town.
After 1911, there were reports in The Independent reporting a collapsed drain between the old hotel and the North Deniliquin Police Station in 1917 and 1920.
In 1924, the building was again mentioned in a report stating ‘gutter from the old Sandhurst Hotel along Victoria Street to Hyde Street properly formed with grader’
The hotel was reportedly located somewhere near or on where DNPS now stands.
Galbraith’s Union Hotel/Inn
Mr W Galbraith died in 1891
According to a book on the Imperial Hotel, Galbraith’s was destroyed by Fire in 1894, stood on the corner of Hay Road and Smart Street.
Rebuilt further off the road, last recorded as standing in 1988.
Recorded as Bee-Hive and Beehive Hotel and was located in Cressy Street.
First record was in the Government Gazette of January 1877 and The last record was in September 1880.
Charles Willoughby was listed as running the Hotel throughout its existence.
It is unknown where exactly the hotel was standing but there is a suggestion that the Black Swan may be connected to it as when the Bee-Hive disappeared from the list, the Black Swan appeared.
Railway –> Kyneton Club Hotel (KCH unlicensed c1932)
The Railway Hotel was the site of a public meeting in 1873 to form a company to construct a railway from Deniliquin to Moama, the company was called ‘Deniliquin and Moama Railway Company’.
The Hotel went from W Davis to W Davies and there is the theory the Bush Inn was next door to it and was brought in 1882 and became part of the Railway.
Mentions of the Railway Hotel stopped in 1901 with John William Webb running the Railway.
It is believed that the Kyneton came into existence in 1901 as the first located record for the Kyneton Club Hotel reported that Michael J Kelly was running the Hotel in 1902 who ran it at least until 1911.
In 1906, a man named Perkins was assaulted at the hotel.
In 1912, George H. Guy was listed as running the Hotel.
The Kyneton Club Hotel survived the mass de-licensing of 1922 but was reportedly de-
licensed in the 1930’s.
In 1922, the Hotel was sold by Mr J. Bellett to Reuben Green.
The Riverine Grazier of August 31 1928 reported that Reuben Green’s application for the license of the Kyneton Club Hotel to be transferred to a spot opposite the Catholic Church was approved despite Church objections.
An appeal against the granting of the transfer was dismissed in November 1928.
In October 1931, it was reported that the Kyneton Club Hotel license was brought by A. A Armstrong with the license transferred to the Exchange Hotel.
In 1932, it was revealed that the Kyneton Club Hotel that was supposed to be built opposite the Catholic Church was not built due to complications
An application to temporarily re-open the Hotel as the bar of the Railway Hotel was made in November 1932 but was objected to by the nearby Catholic Church.
A second application was made in 1933 for the Hotel to temporarily be re-opened as the Railway Hotel bar as the Railway Hotel was being rebuilt but was denied after members of the Catholic Church and the Police objected to the application.
Like the Pig & Whistle, the Hotel was turned into flats and was standing in the 1970’s before being demolished for businesses.
Railway Station Hotel –> Railway Refreshment Rooms
There is a record for a Railway Station Hotel in 1877 which is presumed to be the Refreshment Rooms.
Herman Altrater ran the Railway Station Hotel in 1879 followed by Mary Kearney from 1880 until 1882.
In 1883, James Sinclair started running what was now known as the Railway Refreshment Rooms and in 1884 William White was now in charge and ran it until 1889.
In 1890, Francis Sparrow was listed as running the rooms, Charles Rowbottom was next listed in 1892 followed by Alexander B Rae in 1894-95, Katharine L Hennessey took over and was running the rooms until James Spark was listed as running the rooms in 1902.
Charles Carpenter took over from George Clyde Oddy in 1921 and ran it until the fire in 1924.
Destroyed in 1924 fire, the license of the rooms was transferred to the premises of the former Carrier’s Rest Hotel to become the Railway Hotel.
Was located in Deniliquin North.
In 1879 a John Adam at the Revenue Hotel was fined £5 for three offenses, it is believed the Revenue was actually the ‘Riverina’.
In 1880, John Adam and his wife were put on trial for stealing a cheque, John Adam was imprisoned for two years.
Planned name of the Hotel was Kings Arms but due to the popularity of Queen Victoria it was opened on Hay Road in 1878 as the Imperial Hotel.
The first entry of the Imperial Hotel in the Government Gazette was in the August 27 1878 edition which named John King as the publican and records were steady from then on.
It appears after the 1884 edition of the Government Gazette, the Imperial Hotel no longer was on the record books.
The Imperial Hotel stood until 1970.The Imperial was reconstructed in 1987 as part of Pioneer Tourist Park.
Was located in Napier Street and believed to have existed on the site of St Vinnies, it is currently the Napier Street mystery as an exact location has not been found.
Mentioned in 1878 as the next hotel in the street from the Carrier’s Rest Hotel where a man brought two bottles with a forged £10 cheque.
Mary Kearney was the landlady of the Bush Inn in 1878, Mrs Kearney would die in 1884 in the Commercial Hotel fire.
In July 1879, an application made by a man named Bassett was refused.
In 1880 and 1881, Decimus Lamb was listed as running the Bush Inn.
In 1882 the Bush Inn was sold to Mr W. Davies at a price that was considered ‘satisfactory’
Records in 1883 indicate that W. Davies started running the Railway Hotel and a 1885 record amended the record to W. J. Davies matching the name of the mayor of Deniliquin in 1890.
In 1890, John Ferguson was listed as running the Hotel.
This opens the possibility that the Bush Inn became part of the Railway Hotel.
Continental Hotel (located where Ho’s is)
Planned for in 1878 by Mr Sehested as Sehested’s Continental Hotel.
In 1880, two people were found guilty of committing larceny of goods from the hotel.
Publican went insolvent in 1884 new owner Mr Sinclair mentioned as Licencee in 1888.
Mr Sinclair had an accident in April 1888 when his horse stepped into a hole and flung Mr Sinclair off.
In 1889, it was reported that the A.J.S Bank was now established in the premises formerly known as the Continental Hotel.
St George Hotel
Was located at George & Cressy Street
Mentioned in 1861 report as the site of a meeting regarding the separation of the Riverina from the colony of New South Wales.
It was again mentioned in 1868 when the Governor visited Deniliquin.
It was last recorded as existing in the Government Gazette of August 1889.