July 5 2017
Beginning here is a list of Hotels that have existed or are currently existing in Deniliquin, this list will be updated over time.
Records have been patchy with the life and death of Hotels falling through the Historical gaps.
Castlemaine Hotel –> Bendigo Hotel
Bendigo Hotel existed on spot of Laughing Chicken until the early 1920’s when it was de-licensed.
Bridge Hotel –> Central Hotel
House That Jack Built –> Pyke’s Hotel –> Union Club Hotel
The Union Club Hotel existed on the corner of George and Napier Street,
Pyke’s Hotel was rebuilt after 1887 fire destroyed it.
The publicans license for the Union Club Hotel was cancelled on June 2nd 1920.
Dublin Hotel (Napier Street)
Federal Hotel (Still Standing)
The Federal Hotel replaced the Black Swan Hotel after the fire in 1896
Terminus – -> Drover’s Arms –> Oddfellows –> Pig & Whistle
Pig & Whistle existed on the corner Poictiers and Hardinge Streets now site of Party Hire.
Victoria Hotel (North Deniliquin)
Was located in Davidson Street
Court House Hotel –> Globe Hotel (Still Standing, rebuilt after 1883 fire )
Carrier’s Rest Hotel –> Railway Hotel
The Carrier’s Rest was unlicensed in the early 1920’s and was presumably re-opened as the Railway Hotel in 1924 after a fire destroyed the Railway Refreshment Rooms next to the Railway platform.
Not related to the Carrier’s Rest Hotel.
Located in North Deniliquin under Mr Cowley in 1877.
White Lion Hotel
Known as The Zoo, there have been two buildings as the White Lion with the current building opening in 1958.
Black Swan Inn/Hotel
Destroyed in an 1896 fire
Edward River Hotel (still standing, North Deniliquin)
Nicknamed the Buncha, this Hotel has withstood several floods and damage from an 1891 storm.
Faugh-a-Ballagh –> Sportsman’s Arms Hotel (still exists)
Faugh-a-Ballagh was also the name of a horse.
Exchange Hotel (South Deniliquin)
Perhaps South Deniliquin’s only still wholly original Hotel from the 1800’s.
Royal Hotel –> Coach House Motor Inn –> Royal Colonial Hotel Motel –> Coach House
The Shamrock Hotel
Was located in Victoria Street where it still exists as a house
The Queensland Hotel (North Deniliquin c1878)
The Queensland Hotel was mentioned in February 1878 being owned by Mr Robert Middlemiss and it would be the 29th Hotel in Deniliquin at the time with the 30th being The Continental .
No record of the Queensland Hotel in the Government Gazette of 1879.
The Court House Hotel
The Court House Hotel was a popular hotel that existed into the late 1960’s, the site of the Hotel is where Target is today.
Was located in Harrison Street which was then part of Duncan Street, The Camperdown is known to be seen in at least one photograph.
The Camperdown is also listed in 1877 as being in End Street.
The Live & Let Live –> Brewers Arms
The Brewers Arms was in End Street which was partly turned into Maher Street, still exists as a house.
The Highlander Inn –> The Commercial Hotel –>The Australian Club Hotel –> Tattersall’s
Listed in 1867 as the ‘Highlander and Irons’ Family Hotel’
As the Commercial Hotel, the Hotel caught fire in 1884 killing four people.
Tattersall’s remained standing until the 1960’s when it made way for a Caltex Service Station, the remains of the service station can be partly seen in present building.
Whipple’s Hotel –> Wanderer Inn
burnt down in 1867
North Deniliquin Arms –> National Hotel
Destroyed by fire in 1884 was at Victoria Street
Belmore Arms –> Garibaldi Arms –> Guilliere’s –> Sandhurst
A kitchen fire killed Mrs Guilliere in October 1901.
Galbraith’s Union Hotel/Inn
Mr W Galbraith died in 1891
Destroyed by Fire in 1894, stood on the corner of Hay Road and Smart Street.
Rebuilt further off the road, last recorded as standing in 1988.
Recorded as Bee-Hive and Beehive Hotel and was located in Cressy Street.
First record was in 1877 and The last record was in 1880.
Railway –> Kyneton Club Hotel (KCH unlicensed c1932)
The Kyneton Club Hotel survived the mass de-licensing of 1921/22 but was de-licensed in the 1930’s, the building stood at least into the 1970’s before being demolished for businesses.
Railway Refreshment Rooms
Destroyed in 1924 fire, license presumably transferred to former Carrier’s Rest Hotel to become Railway Hotel.
There is a record for a Railway Station Hotel in 1877 which is presumed to be the Refreshment Rooms.
Was located in Deniliquin North c1878
Planned name of the pub was Kings Arms, opened on Hay Road in 1878 as the Imperial Hotel and stood until 1970.
The Imperial was reconstructed in 1987 as part of Pioneer Tourist Park.
Was located in Napier Street definitely in 1880 and last recorded in 1881.
Continental Hotel (located where Ho’s is)
Planned for in 1878 by Mr Sehested as Sehested’s Continental Hotel.
Publican went insolvent in 1884 new owner Mr Sinclair mentioned as Licencee in 1888.
St George Hotel
Was located at George & Cressy Street
North Deniliquin Hotel
First mentioned in September 1866, last mentioned in 1877 list of Hotels.
Supreme Court Inn/Hotel
Located in Cressy Street, was thought to be the same as the Court House Hotel until a list of Hotels revealed both existed at the same time.
Decimus Lamb was in charge of the Supreme Court Hotel in 1875 and is also tied to the