Started on July 5 2017, last modified August 17 2019
Beginning here is a list of Hotels that have existed or are currently existing in Deniliquin, this list will be updated over time.
Records have been patchy with the life and death of Hotels falling through the Historical gaps, there may be some errors are reports were prone to be inaccurate with names and even places.
The aim at this present time is to get as much pre 1950 history as possible and then slowly move forward towards the 21st century.
There were two Bendigo Hotels, both were on Cressy Street but in different years.
Cornelius Toohey ran the Bendigo Hotel opposite the Castlemaine Hotel, the Bendigo moved into the Castlemaine in 1878.
Castlemaine Hotel –> Bendigo Hotel
Bendigo Hotel existed on spot of Laughing Chicken until the early 1920’s when it was de-licensed.
The first Government Gazette entry was in 1878 with James Jackson being the Publican.
In 1879 there was a report that a woman was put on trial for having a ‘Bawdy house’ next to the Bendigo.
By 1882, James Jackson made way for Johanna Kerr and the Castlemaine became the Bendigo.
Emma Irvine was listed as Publican in 1885 and Thomas Collins was listed in 1886 before Charles Rowbottom was listed in 1887 and stayed until he was last listed in 1891.
William White was the listed publican in 1892 and the last available record last had him as Publican in 1910.
In 1912, the Lester family brought the hotel and the building was let to Frank Trist who occupied the building in December 1912.
In July 1914 you could buy the following from the Hotel
Watson’s No 10 for 5s and 6d
Dewat’s Imperial for 5s and 6d
Claymore for 5s and 6d
Mitchell’s Crown (large) for 6s and 9d
Mitchell’s Crown (small) for 3s and 6d
Hennessy’s Three Star Brandy for 8s and 0d
Hennessy’s One Star Brandy for 6s and 6d
Wolfe’s Schnapp’s for 5s and 6d
J.D K Z Gin for 6s and 3d
Gilbey’s Dry Gin for 5s and 6d
English Ale (large) for 1s and 6d
Guinness Stout (large) for 1s and 6d
Beck’s Lager (large) for 1s and 6d
Mr Lester was the listed Publican in 1916 until 1919 and was followed by William Joseph Bott for nine months in 1919 before the publican was Alfred W Butcher in 1920.
Mr Lester was fined £5, with 6s costs in May 1919 for allowing drunkenness at the Bendigo Hotel.
Ads in the 1921 papers indicated that Robert McKinlay had taken an extended lease of the hotel.
It is reported that H.G Winter sold the license of the hotel to J.H Charleston and he had a lease up to May 31 1924 but the hotel was one of the hotels made to close down in 1922.
Ads appeared weekly in The Independent until the February 10 1922 edition of the paper.
Drinkers at the Hotel drank Abbotsford Ale and advertisements declared that the hotel had the ‘Best Wines and Spirits’.
It was announced in April 1922 that executors of Mrs Lester’s estate received £1260 and Mr Charleston received £460 in compensation for the withdrawn hotel license.
Mr Lester moved on to Jerilderie and was there in February 1923 when a furniture sale was conducted on his behalf.
The demolition of the Hotel is unknown though in November 1924 there was an auction held at the location referred to ‘The Old Bendigo Hotel’.
Bridge Hotel –> Central Hotel
Considered one of the oldest hotels in Deniliquin, the Central was originally the Bridge Hotel.
The license for the hotel was granted in 1865 to John Taylor.
Alexander F. Steavenson (1877-1878), James Ashton (1879-81), George McLeod are some of the names mentioned as running the hotel between 1877 and 1882.
The hotel was purchased by Mr Ersnstein for £900 and made Mrs Mahon the landlady in September 1883.
In 1906, the annual rental value of the hotel was put down as L104 and a license fee of L25
In 1911, the license was transferred from John T. Bouchier to Thomas Daly.
A young man was fined for insulting language in 1925 after he insulted a woman who was on the side verandah as she was boarding at the hotel.
In 1929, the Central was called upon to have the premises sewered along with two other Hotels in the area.
In 1932, A man was fined for being found walking through the yard of the Hotel with a bottle of beer on a Sunday
In 1933, Arthur Leslie Bott was fined for having the bar open on a Sunday and four others were fined for being on the premises during prohibited hours.
In 1936, Arthur Bott transferred the license to Gerald Duncan Munro.
In 1940, James Hall was mentioned as the licensee of the Central Hotel when he died at the age of 64, the license was transferred to Mrs Frances Hall in 1941.
In 1940, The Age in Melbourne reported on the Central Hotel being rebuilt into the building it is today.
The road between the hotel and the Police Station was labelled a ‘shocking disgrace’ at a Deniliquin Hospital board meeting.
The rebuilding of the hotel gave it 12 more bedrooms, a bar, three parlors and a ladies lounge.
Norman H. Hall was the proprietor of the hotel and the telephone number was 60.
The House That Jack Built –> Pyke’s Hotel –> Union Club Hotel
The Union Club Hotel existed on the corner of George and Napier Street but before its demolition it had lived a life as two other hotels, The House That Jack Built and Pyke’s Hotel.
The first Government Gazette records The House That Jack Built in 1865 with John Gibson being the Publican.
The last entry for ‘The House That Jack Built’ was in the Government Gazette of 1871.
A Government Gazette in December 1874 lists Robert Harvey Pyke for Pyke’s Hotel.
Pyke’s Hotel first entry in the Government Gazette was in September 1875.
Robert Pyke drowned in North Deniliquin in 1879 despite attempts by workers of the Brick-kilns to rescue him.
After Robert Pyke’s death, Mary Pyke taken over as Publican and was listed in the role until Charles J O’Brien was listed in 1883.
Bessie King was the listed Publican in 1884 and Mary O’Brien was listed in 1885 until 1887.
The Hotel burnt down in 1887 but it was rebuilt and was back in operation not long after.
The next record has Catherine Collins as Publican in 1889 and stayed until Arthur A. Smith was listed in 1895 and he was last listed in 1897.
John Morran became the next Publican in 1898 and was replaced by John S. Haid in 1899 and he was replaced by Thomas Collins by the time the Government Gazette came out in August 1900.
In 1903, Mr J. Kelly as auctioneer leased the hotel to Mr M. Kennedy who also became the Publican.
An ad in 1904 advertised the Hotel as having fourteen rooms, substantially built of brick and wood.
In 1905, the Hotel and four other brick and weatherboard shops were sold for £1050 to James Mckenzie, that same year Katherine L. Hennessy was the listed Publican.
Robert Baxter became the listed Publican in 1906 and later that year was charged with with allowing a person on premises during prohibited hours, allowing another person on the premises without lawful excuse and gaming but all three charges were dismissed in court.
Newspaper ads in 1910 announced that T. Keane had a lease of the hotel, these ads ran well into 1911.
James Mckenzie sought and received permission in August 1914 to do some building at the hotel that required bricks to be stacked on the footpath under the supervision of the works foreman.
James McKenzie was fined in 1919 for allowing John Kelly into the premises at a time the hotel should not be open for the sale of liquor, this case was appealed and the conviction was confimed in April 1920.
James McKenzie’s license for the Union Club Hotel was cancelled on June the 2nd 1920 after breaking the Liquor Act three times with three years.
J.H Charleston was granted a license to run the hotel in June 1920.
Thomas Collins was the last licensee of the Union Club Hotel in June 1921 and he was later compensated a sum of £290 and James McKenzie was compensated £830 for the Hotel’s closure.
The Hotel was closed on June 30 1922.
The former hotel building was brought in August 1936 by Mr T. A. Bradford who called for tenders for the demolition of the building, this process was closed on September 7 1936.
The Deniliquin Motor Company building that replaced the Union Club Hotel still stands today.
Dublin Hotel (Napier Street)
The Dublin Hotel building while it has stopped trading as a hotel in 1922 is still standing in Napier Street.
The first record in the Government Gazette was in the 1877 edition with Elizabeth Mullen listed as Publican, the interesting thing about the record is that it says the Dublin was in Cressy Street.
The first found newspaper entry is not a nice one as Hotel landlord Stephen Mullen was reported to have died after falling from a vehicle in March 1877.
In 1877 a lamp outside the Dublin Hotel was damaged during a series of property damage on Hotels in Deniliquin at the time.
Charles Blacket Harrison was the next publican when the Gazette was published in 1878 and in 1880 Elizabeth Harrison was listed.
Mr Harrison was summoned to court in 1878 and was charged with permitting gaming in his licensed house, the charge was dismissed.
In 1880, a report in the newspaper reported that ‘an hotel is being built by Messrs.
Hunter and Sons for Mrs. Harrison, of the present Dublin Hotel, and it is expected to be completed next month’.
This explains why the first couple of years of the Hotels existence had the hotel at Cressy Street because it was at Cressy Street then they built and moved into the premises in Napier Street where it stayed until 1922.
Neil Mackenzie died at the hotel in September 1882 after his horse shied at a cab resulting in him falling, he was taken to the hotel and died early the next day.
John Bott became licensee of the Dublin in 1890 after leasing the building from Mr Brophy.
The Dublin Hotel was lightly damaged by fire in November 1892 and was sold for 2200 pounds in 1897 to Elliott’s Riverine Brewery Co .
The Dublin was described as having 18ft of frontage, a bottom floor made of brick whilst the top floor was made of wood.
In 1906, John Bott was brought to court on the charge of having two people on his premises on Sunday October 21st 1906.
Also in 1906, the hotel’s annual rental value was judged to be L130 and the licensee fee was L25.
John Bott was noted in 1916 as celebrating 26 years as the licencee of the Dublin and would continue to run the hotel until it was closed.
William J Bott taken over from his father as licensee in March 1921 (or 1920), William Bott tragically passed away at the age of 38 due to illness in October 1928 and his father died in August 1927.
A report in December 1921 revealed that two of the hotels rooms were condemned by the Board of Health.
An auction was held on July 6 1922 to sell all items from the Hotel as it was de-licensed that year.
In September 1922, the building was transferred from Elliott’s Riverine Brewery Co to Mrs G. T. Helsby.
A Municipal meeting in 1925 raised the question about the box drain at the back of the ‘Old Dublin Hotel’.
Federal Hotel (Still Standing)
The Federal Hotel replaced the Black Swan Hotel after the fire in 1896.
It was opened in 1897 and was run by Mr John Geraghty.
John Andrew McInnes held the license until 1912 when James Hall taken over and held it until 1927 before making way for James Robinson.
In 1915, James Hall was charged with not having a light on outside his premises and was fined 5s with 6s costs.
In 1921 James Hall was charged with having a person on the premises at a time the hotel was prohibited from serving alcohol, the charge was withdrawn.
The Hotel breached the Gaming Act in 1922 and James Hall was fined.
The Federal Hotel has changed shape over the years with the brick veranda added after 1927 though you can see the pre-1927 structure if you look from the war memorial.
Frank Robinson was fined in 1929 for keeping his premises open for the sale of liquor in prohibited hours.
In 1933, a youth was seen leaving the hotel and going to a dance at the Masonic Hall, he was found with two bottles of draught and the court fined him £1, with 8/ costs.
In 1941, the licensee Mrs I. Robinson sought an extension of time allotted in which to repair the balcony of the Hotel.
David J. Prior was the licensee in 1948 according to an advertisement and the Hotel’s phone number was 202.
The 1950’s saw the license go to Fredrick Muller who had it until 1962 when Desmond Cochrane Hempton was mentioned as managing the hotel from May 15 1962 to July 6 1962.
It is assumed that Mr Muller held on to the license until Neil Malcolm Cooper obtained it on June 21 1965 and held it until November 30 1967 when Dennis Todor became licensee.
The Hotel for decades served as the meeting place of the Deniliquin Licensed Victuallers Race Club (LVRC).
There have been fears in recent years that the Federal would be demolished but thankfully it was brought and retained for future use.
In 2018 a website detailing a plan to turn the Federal Hotel into a cinema and other shops and businesses went offline after fundraising got around 70% of the way to completion.
In 2019, vandals have caused water and physical damage to the hotel by running the taps and smashing mirrors and walls despite the efforts of a caretaker to keep the hotel clean and intact.
Terminus (1876-1891) – -> Drover’s Arms (1892-98) –> Oddfellows (1898-1922) –> Pig & Whistle (1922-1942)
The Terminus was built the year Deniliquin was connected to Victoria by rail.
The first record in the Government Gazette was in 1876 with John McGrath running the hotel.
Honora McGrath was the next to run the Hotel and was listed as doing so from 1886 until 1891.
In 1892, the Terminus was renamed the Drover’s Arms Hotel and Thomas W Dixon was running the Hotel.
In 1901, Thomas Moseley had ads in The Independent that he had leased the hotel, unfortunately the earliest newspaper online is issue #144 so we don’t know how long the ads were running for.
A fire destroyed a small dwelling at the back of the hotel in 1908.
Mr James Halton died at the hotel in October 1914 at the age of 40 after falling ill with pneumonia.
Mary Danckert’s license of the hotel was transferred to Roland Simon Fraser in September 1916.
August 1917 saw the death of Edward Hoskins, a man who ran the Victoria Hotel, White Lion Hotel and the Oddfellows.
Roland Simon Fraser had his license renewed in June 1917 at an a.a.v cost of £42 and licence fee of £10.
In May 1922, Michael James Foley pleaded guilty to allowing Michael McCannon on bis premises at a time when such premises should not be open for the sale of liquor, and was fined 40s, with 8s costs.
The Oddfellows was de-licensed on June 30 1922 and the Riverine Brewery Co was compensated £780 whilst Mr Foley was compensated £120 as licencee.
The Hotel closed its doors at 6pm on June 30 1922 along with the Dublin, Union Club, Victoria, Carriers’ Rest and Bendigo Hotels.
On the 21st of July 1922, an auction was held to sell the household items of the hotel.
The Hotel was described as having 14 rooms, W.B, Bathroom, Wash-House and Stables and was a brick construction.
The July 21 1922 edition of the Independent reported that Elliott’s Riverine Brewery Co. transferred the property of the hotel to W. J. Adams.
The Pig & Whistle then opened in the Oddfellows place and operated until it was converted into residences in 1942 and was demolished in the early part of the 21st century after a fire ripped through it in 2004.
The hotel existed on the corner of Poictiers and Hardinge Streets and is now the site of Deni Party Hire.
(2005 Google Earth image of the Pig & Whistle)
Victoria Hotel (North Deniliquin)
Was located on the corner of Herriott and Davidson St right where Deniliquin Toyota now stands.
The first mention was recorded on March 24 1877 as ‘Mr Hodgkins intends erecting a new hotel at a cost of £1000 between North and South Deniliquin’.
Harry Hodgkins died on March 7 1882 and was described as a brickmaker by trade and known for his skills and honesty.
Nine applications were made for the hotel license and Mr A. Dunn was announced as the successful applicant in May 1882 and the hotel was managed by Mrs Dunn.
The 1889 flood resulted in the flooded river cutting the hotel off from South Deniliquin.
In 1902, John Purcell transferred his license of the Hotel to Allan Cameron.
Allan Cameron was the Licensee in June 1906 and reported that he rented the hotel from Riverine Brewery Co and paid L1 15s, the License Fee was judged to be worth L20 and the rental value at L91
Mrs. Cameron was the next licensee of the Victoria Hotel and was charged with ‘knowingly suffering a constable to remain on the premises‘ and she was fined £1 plus costs
The 1917 floods cut traffic off from the bridge all the way to the hotel.
The hotel was last owned in 1922 by the Riverine Brewery Co. and the last licencee was Walter Leonard Bott.
The hotel was described as having seven bedrooms (three for family use), it also had three parlours, a bar, dining room, kitchen, laundry, bathroom and stables
The Victoria Hotel was de-licensed on June 30 1922 and an auction of furniture and effects was held the same day.
In 1933, the hotel was mentioned when a delivery bus crashed near where the former hotel stood.
The Hotel stood until 1953 and was talked about again in 1975 when the Hotel Cellar was filled in.
Supreme Court Hotel –> Globe Hotel (Still Standing, rebuilt after 1883 fire )
On September 15 1867, Mr Joseph Simpson applied for a house to be called ‘The Supreme Court Hotel’, the Hotel was described to be in the corner of Mr Simpson’s Blacksmith’s yard opposite the telegraph office.
Mr Simpson was known for being the first Blacksmith in Deniliquin.
A fire damaged The Globe in 1883 and it was rebuilt to be operational again a short time later.
Francis Sparrow was running the hotel from the late 1800’s into the early 1900’s.
Mr Bris Neal, a man regarded as a well known bookmaker was robbed of £225 whilst staying at the Hotel in 1907.
In 1909, John Moroney transferred the license of the Hotel to C.B Finemore.
It is believed that C.B Finemore transferred the license of the Globe to Louis Frank Probert in 1912.
In 1914, Mr Probert was fined for having somebody in the Globe during a time the hotel should not be opened for the sale of liquor.
In 1919, Mr Probert was fined £3 for having six people at the hotel during hours the hotel should not be selling liquor.
In 1920, Mr Probert was granted permission to make extensions to the premises.
Mr Probert was fined £4 for having a wireless without a license in the parlour of the hotel.
A woman working at the Hotel died from a cerebral hemorrhage in 1935, the death was unusual because of the fact they found her dentures in her throat.
The Independent reported in April 1939 that after twenty years Mr Probert handed over management of the hotel to Mr J. J. O’Shea though if he taken over the license in 1912 the total would be 27 years.
It was reported in January 1945 that Mr and Mrs Jack O’Shea sold their interest in the Hotel, this taken place on December 19 1944.
On the 18th of June 1946, A.C Kirby transferred the license to the Hotel to Mr. Charles Long
In 1946, an application was made to completely demolish and rebuilt the Hotel.
In 1948, A storm damaged the Globe Hotel and the Primrose Cafe that was next to it.
As late as 1949, Probert’s Globe Hotel was still written on the top of the building more than ten years after his departure.
Thos Walton Hyslop brought the Hotel on the 8th of June 1949 and it was passed on to Gordon Lloyd Denham on the 20th of August 1950.
On the 17th of June 1953, Ernest Rudolph Ballhausen took over the Hotel and was replaced by Morduant Dewgeoffrey on the 18th of July 1959.
Mr Probert died in 1954 at a Hotel that he was managing in St Kilda after being attacked by his partner with an ashtray.
John Thomas Meredith taken over on the 18th of May 1960 and according to records ran it until 1965.
Leslie Roy Nankervis brought the hotel on the 17th of August 1965 and sold it to Graham Leslie Crosbie on the 17th of January 1972.
Grace E. Crosbie came next on the 28th of June 1974 before Lindsay Russell Stephens on the 21st of October 1975.
Leslie James Crosbie took ownership on January 18 1977 and sold on to William Gordon Mordue on the 23rd of November 1977.
Rupert Mervyn Campbell then taken over the Hotel on the 21st of November 1978.
On January 25 2018, A storm blew the roof off the Hotel sending it onto Cressy Street, the storm also damaged the veranda.
The Globe Hotel reopened on March 21 2018 and trading soon returned to pre-storm levels.
Carriers’ Rest Hotel –> Railway Hotel
The Carriers’ Rest was located where the Railway Hotel currently stands.
In 1903 Mr J. Kelly as auctioneer leased the hotel to Mr E. J. Rogers.
In 1913, Mr G. Pollard sold his interest in the Hotel to Frank Trist.
In 1921, The Carriers’ Rest was one of several Hotels in the area that was under threat of de-licensing.
It was felt that Deniliquin had too many Hotels and some must close with the Kyneton Club Hotel and Carriers’ Rest in the firing line to stay open in Napier Street.
It was decided to close the Carriers’ Rest Hotel in 1922.
An auction was held to sell off items on June the 27th and June the 29th 1922, Frank Trist was awarded £1650 in compensation.
The Carriers’ Rest was de-licensed and closed on June 30 1922 and Frank Trist died in 1936.
Frank Trist transferred the property to J. W. Taylor in August 1922.
After the Carriers’ Rest was closed, it was reopened as the Railway Hotel after 1924 as a fire destroyed the Railway Refreshment Rooms next to the Railway platform.
In November 1924, tenders were invited for general renovations to the building known as the Carrier’s Rest Hotel and was signed C Carpenter – Railway Hotel.
In 1927, Mr C Carpenter gave the lease of the Hotel to Mr. Alex McPhee.
After McPhee it appears Norman D. Tait was the licensee/owner of the Hotel.
In 1931, The license of the Hotel was transferred from F.G Owens to G.D Munro on the 12th of February 1931.
In November 1932, the buildings that made up the Railway Hotel were put up for auction for removal so a new Railway Hotel could be built.
The Railway Hotel was re-opened on April 16 1933 after attempts failed to temporarily operate at the former Kyneton Club Hotel site.
Reg C Carpenter came aboard on the 2nd of February 1935 and there was no change until W. Hart came along on January 4 1941.
Doris Hart managed the Hotel after W. Hart was granted a leave of absence.
There were reports the Hotel was going to be called the Riverina Hotel and was even listed in the phone book in 1941 as the Riverina Hotel.
Reg C Carpenter returned to the Railway on December 18 1945 and Illidge James Carpenter took over on the 8th of June 1949.
Dorothy Emily White took over on the 21st of September 1955 and Ronald Arthur Casey taken over on January 18th 1967, the Hotel changed hands twice in 1973 with Mr Monighetti in June 1973 and Charles Henry Thompson coming aboard on the 16th of October 1973.
John Bortoli came aboard on the 20th of December 1977.
Carriers’ Arms Hotel (Cowley/Hancock)
This is one of the most confusing hotel histories in the local area as there have been multiple ‘Carriers’ Arms Hotel’s’ running.
This particular one is the Carriers’ Arms Hotel may of been located around 6 miles from Deniliquin.
It is said in December 1875 papers that a Mr Holloway transferred his license to run an establishment from the Carriers’ Arms to Pretty Pine.
Nothing has been found in regards to 1876.
The Hotel name appeared again in 1877 with Mr Cowley named as running it in 1877, Mr Cowley ran the Hotel until his death in 1880.
In 1877, A meeting was held at the Hotel to establish a branch of the Hibernian-Australia Catholic Benefit Society.
Mrs Cowley was fatally burned in 1877 after stepping on a Lucifer match in Cressy Street, her footwear set off the match and she caught fire due to high winds and the fire was put out by Mr Cowley and Mr Watson but she died from her injuries.
In 1879, A woman was reported to have been found bloodied near the Hotel.
After Mr Cowley’s death in 1880, the license was then held by Marion Cowley.
Five people were charged with stealing from the hotel in March 1880, three of the defendants were found guilty whilst the other two were acquitted.
John Hancock was listed as running the Hotel in 1883 and his name and the Hotel was last seen in 1885 records.
White Lion Hotel (aka White Lion Inn)
Known as The Zoo, there have been at least two buildings as the White Lion at the one location.
In 1874, William Simpson who was landlord of the Hotel died, he was regarded by many to be an honest and industrious man.
The Government Gazette of September 1881 listed Thomas Hill as running the hotel, a publication mentions his insolvent estate in 1883.
The White Lion was robbed in 1884 after a man drew out two people by claiming their horses were being strangled and while they investigated items were stolen.
In 1889, an inquest was held at the hotel after a body was recovered from the river.
Edward Reynolds was listed as the Publican in 1893, the address put down was End Street but this isn’t odd as End Street used to run for a long way.
On October 8 1896, The White Lion was put up for sale at the Royal Hotel.
The Hotel survived the de-licensing investigations of 1921 despite the seven room, brick wall and iron roofed building being considered to be in a very bad state of repair.
In 1932, White Lion licensee Mr Reuben Robert Green died at the of 48 and Ethel Levinia Green taken over the license.
In May that year the lease, license, goodwill as well as furniture and effects of the Hotel were put up for auction.
Gwendoline Ferguson came aboard on December 14 1957
John Stanhope Taylor took over the Hotel on January 22 1958 and the current White Lion opened that same year.
In current times, ‘The Zoo’ is well known for their Raffles and Karaoke Night, patrons have been known to sing ‘The Horses’ up until 2018.
The Black Swan Inn/Hotel stood on the site of the Federal Hotel on the corner of Cressy and Napier Street.
The first record appears to been made in the February 1881 Government Gazette with George McLeod running the Hotel.
An April 1882 account mentions the license being transferred from John McLeod to Mr Smith, this could possibly be an error.
Mary J Smith was listed as running the hotel in 1882 followed by Francis D. Bassett in 1883.
The Black Swan was destroyed in an 1896 fire that also destroyed several nearby businesses.
The fire made news in several colonies (states referred to as colonies pre 1901) and was infamous because of a Firefighters strike was taking place at the time of the fire and the fire brigade refused to stop the fire that could of saved the Black Swan.
If the fire was prevented there is little to no doubt that Deniliquin’s hotel scene would of drastically been altered as the Federal Hotel would not have been built when it was if not at all.
In 1915, Mr Thomas Edward Rose died in hospital, he was at one time the licensee of the Black Swan.
Edward River Hotel (still standing, North Deniliquin)
Nicknamed the Buncha, this Hotel has withstood several floods (1889, 1917, 1956) and damage from an 1890 storm.
In 1876, Henry Willmoor was granted a license for the Hotel, his was one of only two town licences granted out of seven applications.
In 1882, The Hotel went from Mr Willmoor to Mr P. J. O’Reilly.
In 1883, the publican listed in the Government Gazette was Mary J. Smith
In 1900, James Mckenzie was listed as the publican/licence and in 1906 he was fined for having two patrons on the premises on a Sunday.
In 1921, the licensee of the Hotel was Mrs L. Donovan and the hotel was described at the time to have 12 bedrooms (4 for family), three parlors, dining room, billiard room, kitchen, a 12 stall stable and loose boxes.
The Executrices of Thomas Hetherington put the Edward River Hotel on sale on June 13 1922.
A branch of the ALP was formed at the hotel in July 1925 with Arthur Sullivan appointed President and John Donovan secretary.
A man was fatally injured in a fight outside the hotel in 1928 and hitting his head on a metal roadway.
In 1934, two bicycles were stolen from the premises.
In 1936, the lease of the hotel was sold by Mrs L. J. Donovan to Mr R. Donovan.
Three men in 1936 were arrested and then plead guilty to being on the licensed premises during prohibited hours.
In 1938, Mr W. Hawkshaw brought the lease of the Hotel from Mr Roy Donovan.
In 1937, three bags of Chaff were stolen from a shed and in 1939 there was a theft of Cigarettes and Liquor.
In 1939, Mr Hawkshaw ‘disposed of his business’ due to ill health and the business was taken up by Mr Lawrence from Melbourne.
In 1944, Percy Lynch was mentioned as the licensee when he was fined for failing to enter than names of the lodgers in the register.
A baby car was stolen from the front of the hotel in September 1945, it was believed to been driven to Mathoura before being left outside the Air Station in Deniliquin.
A man in 1946 was charged for being on the premises on prohibited hours but was found not guilty.
Murray Ivers was the licensee in 1948.
In 1949, the license of the Hotel was transferred to Molly Anne D’Argeaval and in December of that same year £349 and the cash box it was contained in was stolen from the hotel.
These days the hotel is known as ‘The Buncha’ and has been a popular place to have a drink and listen to some live music.
Faugh-a-Ballagh –> Sportsman’s Arms Hotel –> Sportsman’s Hotel/Motel (still exists)
Opened in 1857, It changed its name soon after to Sportsman’s Arms.
In 1864, the hotel was put for auction and despite it being the Sportsman’s it was still better known as Faugh-a-Ballagh, the sale included a paddock the size of 25 acres
In 1887, William Heriot left the Sportsman’s Arms after 15 years to go to Melbourne but returned shortly after to run the Globe Hotel.
In May 1904, the Hotel’s new premises was completed.
In 1915, William Morran was licencee and was fined 3 pounds and 2s for breaching the Liquor Act, William Morran died in Elwood in 1928.
In 1924, the proprietor of was W.H Oxenham.
In 1928, J.H Charleston secured a lease of the Hotel and held it until his death in 1929.
Also in 1928, Walter Bott was mentioned as being the licensee of the Hotel as he and four others were fined for being on the premises after prohibited hours.
In 1930, Les Bott handed over the license to Mr J. Danckert.
A. McPhee took over the Hotel on the 5th of June 1929 and G. L Blott(?) took over on the 17th of April 1930.
In 1947, Hotel owner Wallace Stillard’s plane disappeared and the aircraft and his remains were found in 1948.
The hotel played a part in North School’s history as two meetings were held in the early 1960’s to find out what was happening with the school being constructed across the road (it eventually opened in 1963).
The Hotel changed its name from Sportman’s Arms to Sportman’s Hotel/Motel on the 16th of December 1968.
Geoffrey Hetherington and Maurice Hetherington ran the hotel into the 70’s with Maurice’s time starting on the 18th of July 1978.
Trivia: Faugh-a-Ballagh was also the name of several horses.
Exchange Hotel (South Deniliquin)
The Exchange Hotel has been a fixture on End Street for many, many years.
The earliest record from newspapers recorded that the licensee of the Hotel, Mr Richard De Custer was sued for libel.
The hotel faced tragedy in 1878 and 1880 and 1882 with the deaths of a worker (1878), the wife of the publican at the time in the Edward River (1880) and the possible murder of a man at the rear of the hotel in 1882 all three could make the hotel seem haunted.
Mr H. Hawkins brought the hotel for £425 in late August 1887.
In 1888, a destructive fire brought a narrow escape for Mrs Austin and children.
1901 Mr John Kelly as auctioneer leased the hotel to Harry Trist for a term of 5 years as well as selling the furniture and effects, goodwill and stock in trade to Mr Trist.
In 1902, Harry Trist was fined for having a cask that did not have a duty stamp on it, the manager of the local brewery was fined for not putting the stamp on the cask.
In 1908, Frank Trist was accidentally mailed 20 tins of Opium that was intended for another Deniliquin location.
In 1911, The Independent had ads that Charles Langshaw was the licensee of the Hotel, assuming the ads started in 1911, they ran until 1914.
In 1920, E.T Matthews oversaw the sale of the Exchange and it was brought by Margaret Langshaw.
William Jones was fined for having a person on his premises on Christmas Day 1923.
In 1927, Margaret Langshaw put the Exchange up for public auction on Thursday March 3 1927.
In 1928, The license for the Exchange Hotel was transferred to the Wakool Hotel and an auction of furniture and other household effects was held on October 30 and 31.
An auction was held on November 14 1928 and described the place as Lot 2, Section 17 and described the Exchange as containing 22 rooms.
In 1929, The Hotel was reported to have been rebuilt and reopened under the guidance of Mr Jack Grieve.
The hotel was described to have a total of twelve single and double bedrooms and were apart from the staff accommodation.
In 1931, the Exchange received the license of the Kyneton Club Hotel.
Additions were made to the hotel in 1933 after a successful application was put in by Mr P.F Phillips and the additions were described to be ‘a portion of an hotel, an old wooden structure which had been ordered to be abolished’
In 1936, former licensee Frank Trist died and it was mentioned in The Independent reporting his death that the Exchange ‘has been delicensed for some years’.
George H. Guy transferred the license of the Hotel to William Thomas Hart in June 1937.
In 1949, The license of the Hotel transferred from Robert Cookman to Thomas Hyslop.
The hotel’s cellar has attracted interest as a cellar wall has a bricked up entrance point, where did this entrance point lead to and what was its purpose?
Royal Hotel –> Coach House Motor Inn –> Royal Colonial Hotel Motel –> Coach House
The Royal Hotel had at least three fires between 1858 and 1861 with the third fire resulting in a death when its stables were set alight.
In 1877, you could buy a pint of Ale for the price of 6d.
In 1886, Henry Cheswick brought the hotel for £4100 at an auction in Melbourne, it was until that point owned by a limited liability company.
A Judge was robbed at the Hotel in 1904 with money and an overcoat stolen.
A man was charged and fined for being on the premises during prohibited hours in April 1907.
Between 1911 and 1914 there was fighting over the ‘Royal Hotel Gardens’ as there was an attempt to enclose a section of Junction Street that had adjoined the hotel.
Mr E. G. Sweet brought the freehold, building, furniture and goodwill of the Royal for £5000 in 1914.
In 1925, tenders were wanted for repairs, additions and alterations to the Hotel.
In 1927, Mrs E. H. Oxenham was injured when she fell down the cellar stairs of the Hotel.
Thieves visited the hotel on Good Friday and stole ten shillings and a five pound note from two bedrooms.
The Hotel made news in the 1930’s when a Cow decided to pay a visit, the cow made its way upstairs and into a bedroom before leaving the premises.
In 1936 a man was charged with stealing money from the bar counter.
In 1937 the license of the hotel was transferred from Mrs. L. Tuckwell to Mrs E Clarke.
In 1946, the hotel license was reported in The Independent to have transferred from S. T. Willoughby to Thomas Gregory Hooper.
In 1948 the proprietor of the Hotel was Mr. T. G. Hooper.
Cornelius Aldworth Hurley took over on the 18th of February 1958 and continued on until handing over to Alan Michael Ryan on the 19th of December 1960.
The Royal Hotel was demolished in 1962 during a decade in which the town lost the Court House, Tattersall’s and the Royal Hotel.
The Coach House Motor Inn was later built on the site and it has traded as various names since.
Edward Maxwell Riley taken over the hotel on the 16th of October 1962 and handed over to William Arthur Freebody on the 23rd of February 1966.
In 1966, Toohey’s taken over Coach House Motor Inn Ltd and Hotel Deniliquin Ltd, the two companies owned hotels in five locations.
The hotel was part of the Zebra Group in 1975 and the phone number was 5881 1011 and there was 32 units to choose from.
The cellar of the hotel is rumored to have a now cut off access point to the Exchange Hotel across the street.
On Wednesday September 27 2000, the 1915 acre property “Yarree” was auctioned at the Hotel, this is one example of the many auctions that were conducted at the location.
In August 2019, it was feared that the Coach House would have to close due to financial issues but fortunately for the town, this issue was solved and business resumed by the week of August 18.
The Shamrock Hotel
Was located in Victoria Street where it still exists as a house.
The Shamrock was flooded in the 1870 floods.
Run by Henry Lee in 1871-72 up to his death in September 1878.
In 1877, a man’s body was moved to the hotel after it was found following a Thunderstorm outside of town.
From 1879 to 1882, The Hotel was run by Nicholas Butterly.
In 1883, John Allen was listed as running the Shamrock in a supplement of the Government Gazette.
After the 1883, there are no further entries in the Government Gazette.
The Queensland Hotel (North Deniliquin c1878)
The Queensland Hotel was mentioned in February 1878 being owned by Mr Robert Middlemiss and it would be the 29th Hotel in Deniliquin at the time with the 30th being The Continental .
In August 1878 the Queensland Hotel was listed as being in Albert Street, Deniliquin.
In December 1878, a publicans license was granted to G. McLeod.
The Court House Hotel
The Court House Hotel was a popular hotel that existed into the late 1960’s, the site of the Hotel is next to where Target is today.
The first record in the Government Gazettes was in 1867 with William Kiely running the hotel and the next year Robert McCullough was listed as running the establishment.
In 1869, Decimus Lamb taken over before Robert Harry Pyke was listed in 1870 meaning that nobody held it for less than two years.
William McDonald was listed in 1871 and began what was to become a long reign as the publican of the Hotel and was last listed in the Government Gazette of 1889.
In 1877, the Hotel’s clothes line was stripped of its linen during a series of property damage to Deniliquin’s hotels.
Eliza McDonald taken over in 1890 and next to be listed was Elizabeth Brophy in 1892 and stayed until Henry J Poynter was listed in the 1896 edition and in 1898 edition James Lawson was listed as the Publican.
Henry Field was next listed when the Government Gazette of 1900 was released and Samuel James Outram was listed as running the Court House in 1901 and was last listed in 1909.
In 1910 Harry Trist was listed as running the hotel followed by Frank Trist in 1911 and Matthew Carew was listed in 1912 and John H Donovan in 1913.
John Bellett was listed in 1914 and was last listed in 1919, Theresa Maher was listed as Publican in the 1920 edition where the records from the Government Gazette/Publican Licenses stop at.
In the mid 1920’s, A garage run by Doug Everitt opened at the rear of the Hotel and faced George Street.
The side of the hotel has confused locals who looked at postcards and could see the side of the hotel facing down Cressy Street with the side looking like a giant house as seen in the below late 1930’s photograph.
Arthur Barnes was succeeded by Theresa Barnes on the 23rd of May 1938 and she was replaced by George F. K. Hall on the 9th of March 1939
John Hayes was charged in 1946 for selling a bottle of Gibley’s Gin for more than the fixed price set by the National Prices Security (Prices) Regulations, the £1 bottle cost him £20 in fines plus costs.
The Court House Hotel stood until 1967 when it was demolished, its demolition forever changed the landscape of Cressy Street.
Court House Hotel Pty Ltd was de-registered on the 20th of March 1967.
The license for the Camperdown was granted on February 17 1877 to Mary Kearney.
The hotel was located in Harrison Street which was then part of Duncan Street, The Camperdown is known to be seen in at least one photograph.
The Camperdown was first listed in the March 27 1877 edition of the Government Gazette with a Publicans license for the hotel given to Mary Kearney.
In September 1877, a body was brought to the Camperdown and was identified by a worker of the Hotel as that of her husband who disappeared a month earlier.
The building may of still been standing as of 1928 as a report in The Independent said ‘The old Camperdown Hotel was now owned by the school’ – the school being St Michaels.
The Live & Let Live –> Brewer’s Arms
The Live & Let Live is reportedly the 13th Hotel to have been built in Deniliquin throughout its history, its location was originally End Street which was later on partly turned into Maher Street.
Later on the Hotel changed its name to the Brewer’s Arms and continued trading.
Owners of the Brewer’s Arms included John Dickson and H.A Foster with Fredrick Fairchild being landlord in 1879 followed by George McLeod the same year.
In 1870, a man named Cother disappeared after stopping in at the Brewers Arms, he was later found to have accidentally drowned in the southern lagoon.
In 1879 the Brewer’s Arms made news when Police Constable Robert Algie was charged with stealing a watch from a patron.
In 1887, An inquest was held to determine the cause of death of Thomas Warner who accidentally drowned in the Edward River.
The Brewer’s Arms later become a house where it still stands today.
The Highlander Inn –> The Commercial Hotel –> The Australian Club Hotel –> Tattersall’s (1893)
The first found mention of the Highlander was in 1857 when a man named Henry Allen was charged with Larceny.
Listed for a time as the ‘Highlander and Irons’ Family Hotel’.
James Irons ran the hotel until 1865 and in 1866 John Joseph Roberts started running the hotel
Robert Johnston ran the Hotel from 1879 until 1882 when he returned to Echuca.
Mary Kearney taken over the Commercial in 1882 and ran it under the death of herself and three others in 1884.
Before the fire, the Commercial was considered by the Riverine Herald to be ‘one of the largest hotels in Deniliquin and considerably more commodious than any hotel in Echuca’.
In August 1884, Charles J. O’Brien was running the Hotel after the death of Mary Kearney.
In December 1884, J.B Watson donated the Hotel to Deniliquin Hospital on the condition the property is not to be sold or alienated.
From 1885 to 1888 , there was no listing of the Commercial Club Hotel.
In 1889, Francis Sparrow is listed as running the Hotel now named The Australian Club Hotel.
Thomas Hirst Dobson’s Publicans license was cancelled on August 2 1892.
The hotel was re-let by Deniliquin Hospital to James Sinclair in 1892 for the hotel to be converted into a Coffee Palace.
In September 1897, applications were invited for the lease of ‘Tattersall’s Hotel’ for a cost of 4 per week.
C. F. De Fraga was reported to have run the hotel for three years in 1901 and the hotel was a front page fixture in The Independent.
The Independent reported in July 1901 that Mr De Fraga asked the Deniliquin Hospital for permission to transfer the license to A. Levy and the request was granted.
The following year Mr Levy asked for his five year lease of the hotel be extended to ten years.
Mr Levy transferred the license of the hotel to Mr R. A. Bazley on September 3 1906 a few months after having run the hotel for five years.
Mr C. Carpenter was made the new new licencee of the hotel in August 1911 although the license was also held by Elliot’s Riverine Brewery Co.
A crisis erupted in 1917 as the Hospital rejected an offer by the Brewery Co. and put the hotel up for tenders to bid for a five year lease.
Thomas Doolan took over the hotel and in 1920 it was reported that Mr Doolan was granted an extension though there was disagreement about the terms being followed due to the hotel’s state of repair.
In 1921, the license of the Hotel was transferred from Mr Doolan to Mr Fredrick Jager.
In 1924, Fredrick Jager transferred the license of the Hotel to Louis Thomas Bennett.
In 1930, an application was made and approved to sell the Hotel by the Deniliquin Hospital board to George Admans.
Tattersall’s was closed for six weeks in 1931 after the license fee was paid and the Hotel was listed to be owned by Deniliquin Hospital.
In 1932, the license was transferred from Colin Jones to Thomas Mulray.
In 1934, the lease was sold by Thomas Mulray to Mr T. F. Welch though W.J McGlinchey reportedly owned it.
In 1937, the Hotel was sold to Mr George Clyde Oddy.
In 1939, the license was transferred from John Moore Murphy to George Henry Myall Sellman.
On September 25 1940 the license of the Hotel was cancelled, an appeal was lodged but was upheld on the condition that conditions were improved.
In 1946, The license was transferred from Thomas Michael Clarke to Harry John Pill.
In 1946, an application for the complete demolition and rebuilding of Tattersall’s was made.
Next on the ownership/licensee list came Rita E. Blencowe and next to her name is a sale date of 23.1.1948.
Charles Harold Richman is next in line on the 20th of July 1949 and Lawrence Alexander Cockayne came aboard on the 21st of June 1950.
George Maxwell Jolly came along on the 17th of January 1951 before Rita Ellen Bluncowe was back on the 23rd of July 1952.
Tattersall’s remained standing until the 1960’s when eventually made way for a Caltex Service Station, the stables however still stand though modified to suit current use.
Wanderer Inn (mentioned as Whipple’s Hotel in papers)
Was built in 1847 by Edward John Bloxham and was later owned by John Taylor in North Deniliquin.
‘Saltbush Country’ mentions the Hotel getting its license on July 8 1947 but that must mean 1847.
Mr Bloxham made way for Mr Britton in 1851.
The Wanderer was famously visited by Captain Melville in 1851 and his gang who stayed for several hours before leaving after a failed attempt to pick the pockets of a boarder they waited on to fall asleep.
Mr Britton but had his license revoked in 1852 and the Wanderer was closed between that time and 1855.
The McKenzie brothers reopened the Inn in 1855 and G. Whipple taken over in 1858.
The Inn was mentioned in now archived newspapers in 1857, 1858, 1859 and 1860 with Mr Whipple mentioned as running the Inn.
John Robertson taken over by 1861 and he made way as licensee to R. D. Filson in 1866 and then John Taylor.
The Wanderer Inn burnt down on the evening of July 25th 1867 and the site of the Inn later became part of DNPS.
North Deniliquin (Arms?) –> National Hotel
First mentioned in September 1866, The National Hotel was described as being a two-storey brick building.
Last mentioned as the North Deniliquin Hotel in the 1878 Government Gazette list and being run by Thomas Robertson.
A September 1880 Government Gazette list has Anne Robertson as running the National Hotel.
Destroyed by fire in 1884 was at Victoria Street, was reported to be unoccupied for some time and the last property owner was Mr Henry Hawkins.
Belmore Arms (1875) –> Garibaldi Arms (1879) –> Guilliere’s –> Sandhurst
The first record in the archived papers online is from 1875 with a Thomas McMillan in charge of the Hotel.
The hotel was mentioned as being on the corner of Victoria Street and Wanderer Street.
Daniel Smith was awarded a licence to run the hotel in 1877.
Mr Guilliere reportedly died in Echuca in August 1899 whilst seeking medical treatment, he was listed as the owner and licensee of the Sandhurst.
A kitchen fire killed Mrs Mary Guilliere at the Hotel in October 1901, Mrs Guilliere was listed as running the Sandhurst in August 1901.
Charles Guilliere was listed as running the Sandhurst in 1905.
In 1911, John Moroney was listed as running the Sandhurst and the license was transferred to Barham that year to become the Royal Hotel in that that town.
The closure of the Sandhurst brought down the hotel total in the area down from 19 to 18 hotels.
After 1911, there were reports in The Independent reporting a collapsed drain between the old hotel and the North Deniliquin Police Station in 1917 and 1920.
In 1924, the building was again mentioned in a report stating ‘gutter from the old Sandhurst Hotel along Victoria Street to Hyde Street properly formed with grader’.
The hotel was reportedly located somewhere near or on where DNPS now stands.
Galbraith’s Union Hotel/Inn
Owned and operated by Mr W Galbraith, the hotel was established in around 1881 based on a report of Mr Galbraith’s death.
Mr W Galbraith died in 1891, it was reported at the time of his death that he lived in the local area for 25 years and ran the hotel for 10 years.
According to a book on the Imperial Hotel, Galbraith’s was destroyed by Fire in 1894 and stood on the corner of Hay Road and Smart Street.
A newspaper report says the hotel was located about 3 miles outside of Deniliquin on Hay Road and the fire was on October 12 1894 and was insured for 200 pounds.
A November 1919 advertisement notified readers of a sale of property on the premises formerly known as Galbraith’s Boarding House, the location was described as being near Mr Willie Jones’ private residence.
The building itself was last recorded as standing in 1988.
Recorded as Bee-Hive and Beehive Hotel and was located in Cressy Street.
First record was in the Government Gazette of January 1877 and The last record was in September 1880.
Charles Willoughby was listed as running the Hotel throughout its existence.
It is unknown where exactly the hotel was standing but there is a suggestion that the Black Swan may be connected to it as when the Bee-Hive disappeared from the list, the Black Swan appeared.
Railway –> Kyneton Club Hotel (KCH unlicensed c1932)
The Railway Hotel was the site of a public meeting in 1873 to form a company to construct a railway from Deniliquin to Moama, the company was called ‘Deniliquin and Moama Railway Company’.
The Hotel went from W Davis to W Davies and there is the theory the Bush Inn was next door to it and was brought in 1882 and became part of the Railway.
Mentions of the Railway Hotel stopped in 1901 with John William Webb running the Railway.
It is believed that the Kyneton came into existence in 1901 as the first located record for the Kyneton Club Hotel reported that Michael John Kelly was running the Hotel in 1902 who ran it at least until 1911.
In 1906, a man named Perkins was assaulted at the hotel.
The rental value of the hotel was reported in the Independent as £84 and 10s
In 1912, George H. Guy was listed as running the Hotel.
In May 1915, a meeting was held on the issue of re-forming the Railway Football Club.
The Kyneton Club Hotel survived the mass de-licensing of 1922 but was reportedly de-
licensed in the 1930’s.
In June 1922, the Hotel was sold by Mr J. Bellett to Reuben Green.
The Hotels latrines were reported to have been in a bad state in 1926 with trough and floor needing repairs and the floor required cementing.
In February 1927, Henry Leetham was found to be on the premises during prohibited hours and was fined £1 with 8/- costs.
The Riverine Grazier of August 31 1928 reported that Reuben Green’s application for the license of the Kyneton Club Hotel to be transferred to a spot opposite the Catholic Church was approved despite Church objections.
An appeal against the granting of the transfer was dismissed in November 1928.
In October 1931, it was reported that the Kyneton Club Hotel license was brought by A. A Armstrong with the license transferred to the Exchange Hotel.
In 1932, it was revealed that the Kyneton Club Hotel that was supposed to be built opposite the Catholic Church was not built due to complications.
An application to temporarily re-open the Hotel as the bar of the Railway Hotel was made in November 1932 but was objected to by the nearby Catholic Church.
A second application was made in 1933 for the Hotel to temporarily be re-opened as the Railway Hotel bar as the Railway Hotel was being rebuilt but was denied after members of the Catholic Church and the Police objected to the application.
A truck crashed into the deep gutter in front of the old Kyneton Club Hotel in July 1934 breaking one of the front wheels.
Like the Pig & Whistle, the Hotel was turned into flats and was still standing in the 1970’s before being demolished for businesses.
Railway Station Hotel –> Railway Refreshment Rooms
There is a record for a Railway Station Hotel in 1877 which is presumed to be the Refreshment Rooms.
Herman Altrater ran the Railway Station Hotel in 1879 followed by Mary Kearney from 1880 until 1882.
In 1883, James Sinclair started running what was now known as the Railway Refreshment Rooms and in 1884 William White was now in charge and ran it until 1889.
In 1890, Francis Sparrow was listed as running the rooms, Charles Rowbottom was next listed in 1892 followed by Alexander B Rae in 1894-95, Katharine L Hennessey took over and was running the rooms until James Spark was listed as running the rooms in 1902.
Charles Carpenter took over from George Clyde Oddy in 1921 and ran it until the fire in 1924.
Destroyed in 1924 fire, the license of the rooms was transferred to the premises of the former Carrier’s Rest Hotel to become the Railway Hotel.
Was located in Deniliquin North.
In 1879 a John Adam at the Revenue Hotel was fined £5 for three offenses, it is believed the Revenue was actually the ‘Riverina’.
In 1880, John Adam and his wife were put on trial for stealing a cheque, John Adam was imprisoned for two years.
Planned name of the Hotel was Kings Arms but due to the popularity of Queen Victoria it was opened on Hay Road in 1878 as the Imperial Hotel.
The first entry of the Imperial Hotel in the Government Gazette was in the August 27 1878 edition which named John King as the publican and records were steady from then on.
In September 1878, two men were arrested for forging and uttering with the second individual charged with being an accessory after handing over a £5 cheque to Mr King.
It appears after the 1884 edition of the Government Gazette, the Imperial Hotel no longer was on the record books.
The Imperial Hotel stood until 1970 and The Imperial was reconstructed in 1987 as part of Pioneer Tourist Park.
Was located in Napier Street and is believed to have existed on the site of St Vinnies, it is currently the Napier Street mystery as an exact location has not been found.
Mentioned in December 1878 as the next hotel in the street from the Carrier’s Rest Hotel where a man purchased two bottles with a forged £10 cheque signed in the name of George Elliot.
Mary Kearney was the landlady of the Bush Inn in 1878, Mrs Kearney would die in 1884 in the Commercial Hotel fire.
In July 1879, an application made by a man named Bassett was refused.
In October 1879 there was a report the London Chartered Bank brought an ejectment case against a Mr Bastett (Bassett?) for the Bush Inn property.
In 1880 and 1881, Decimus Lamb was listed as running the Bush Inn.
Decimus Lamb was recorded in 1882 as being formerly of Deniliquin and he died in 1918.
In 1882 the Bush Inn was sold to Mr W. Davies at a price that was considered ‘satisfactory’.
Continental Hotel (located where Ho’s is)
Planned for in 1878 by Mr Sehested as Schestedt’s Continental Hotel.
In 1880, two people were found guilty of committing larceny of goods from the hotel.
J.H Sehestedt died on April 22 1882.
Publican went insolvent in 1884 and new owner Mr Sinclair mentioned as Licencee in 1888.
In 1885, the Deniliquin and Echuca teams had a celebration at the hotel after Deniliquin won by one wicket.
Mr Sinclair had an accident in April 1888 when his horse stepped into a hole and flung Mr Sinclair off resulting in Mr Sinclair suffering a broken collarbone.
In 1889, it was reported that the A.J.S Bank was now established in the premises formerly known as the Continental Hotel.
St George Hotel (George Hotel)
Was located at George & Cressy Street and the license for the hotel was granted to John Waring on July 5 1860.
Mentioned in 1861 report as the site of a meeting regarding the separation of the Riverina from the colony of New South Wales.
Fred Marshall was listed in the Government Gazette as the Publican in 1866.
It was again mentioned in 1868 when the Governor visited Deniliquin.
Decimus Lamb was residing at the hotel in 1868 when he was declared insolvent, he later turned up at the Court House Hotel and the Bush Inn.
In 1880, A child died of shock a day after falling into a boiler filled hot water at the hotel.
The hotel was last recorded as existing in the Government Gazette of August 1889.
In 1895, a fire was reported at an old hotel in George Street, this may of been the St George, the fire did not result in the destruction of the building.