Deniliquin has had a lot of Cafe’s over the years and we’re attempting to name them all which will take some time to do as we look over photographs and other images and records.
Some of these may be businesses that existed in the same place but had different names, this entry will be regularly updated as more details come to hand.
Was located across the road from the Town Hall and was in business for many years.
Mr S. Rymer brought the Broadway Cafe in 1928 as ads were running in at least December that year.
A September 1929 report refers to ‘Mr Rymer, of the Broadway Cafe’ who provided supper for the Country Party Ball at Town Hall.
Ads for the Cafe in 1932 indicate the the cafe was run by the Robertson brothers and in 1933 the Panaretto brothers ran ads indicated they had taken over the business.
Thefts were reported in 1932, the theft resulted in the loss of Mutton, 14 meat pies and other foodstuff.
Trophies for the 1932 Deniliquin Show were displayed behind the windows of the cafe.
The Cafe was altered and was completed in 1934
A children’s party for a dance school was held at the cafe in 1936 and at least 22 people were at the event.
In 1936 it was discovered that milk sold at the cafe contained 34% added water resulting in fines and hard labour for the accused.
The cafe hosted many wedding receptions with The Independent regularly reporting on receptions held there.
C. Condos was running the cafe in the 1940’s and it was mentioned in 1941 that he brought a cafe in Napier Street and provided Adams’ Cake to both locations.
Was located in Napier Street.
Adams’ Cake was supplied to the Cafe
In 1946, John Ferrari received a cheque that was proved to be valueless, the youth who gave the cheque received a suspended three month sentence.
A man was found there in 1949 after jumping off the National Bridge, the man jumped off the bridge after his wife dared him to jump, the man was arrested at the Cafe.
The cafe was considered popular and has been affectionately remembered many locals decades after it closed.
Café Bakery 285 (current)
Located in Cressy Street.
Bronte’s Gourmet (current)
Located in Napier Street.
Crossing Café (current)
Located in between the Information Centre and the Peppin Heritage Centre.
Scoop n Brew (current)
The Scoop n Brew filled in a huge hole in Deniliquin Plaza when it opened for business, it occupies the shop that formerly housed Movieland.
It quickly gained a reputation as a high quality, dependable business and offers a whole range of food and drink.
It has a Facebook rating of 5 out 5 after 20 reviews.
Probert’s Cafe, Globe Cafe & Primrose Café
Deniliquin Independent called the cafe Probert’s Cafe or Globe cafe in the 1930’s.
In 1936, heavy rain damaged ‘a good deal of stock’, this rain also damaged several other businesses.
The Primrose Cafe was considered one of the best in town.
Surviving online records have the Primrose mentioned in The Independent in 1941.
In 1946, Henry Nash faced court after being charged with four counts of alleged breaches of awards.
The ceiling in the Kitchen are collapsed during a storm in February 1948, R. K. Allen was proprietor at that time.
The Cafe continued into the early 21st century before closing down.
Red Rose Diner (current)
Red Rose Diner was damaged in 2018 when TLC Real Estate was set on fire.
Before the fire the diner was getting a reputation for being a great place with a FB rating of 5 out of 5 after 34 reviews.
Deni Diner only had a short existence thanks to a fire that severely damaged it and Green Pepper Pizza.
Blue Sea Café
Formerly located in Cressy Street.
Not much is known about it online apart from the fact the Café achieved immortality by being in the opening seconds of a Big M ad, it is said the Blue Seas was chosen by producers due to it being relatively free of ads of various brands.
The building was later demolished and a new one built in its place with the Black Cat Café now in the spot where the Blue Seas was.
Tarilta Cafe & Black Cat Café
The Tarilta Cafe was opened next to Jane and Jane’s around 1916 and was run was J. H Donovan.
The ads announcing that Mr Donovan opened the Tarilta ran at least between 1916 and 1918
A fixture in an always changing town, Black Cat has been around for since the 1940’s and currently the business sits comfortably among its takeaway competitors.
The first mention of the Black Cat Cafe we could find was an advertisement made in March 1941.
The next mention was in January 1946 after a RAAF man was arrested for drunken behaviour and breaking a table at the cafe.
Marshall and Barnes were running the cafe in 1948.
The Cafe has stayed in Cressy Street throughout its run.
If the Tartilla Cafe and Black Cat Cafe are one continuous business then the business has been existing for over 100 years.
Was located in Cressy Street in the spot later made popular by O.B’s and their telephone number was 81 1644.
The business later on moved to Hardinge Street before closing and the signage lasted for many years.
They offered Pizzas, Chicken, Cigarettes, Soft Drinks, Bread and Milk.
Old Dublin Café
Sushi Bite Café (Current)
Existed at least in the 1930’s in Cressy Street.
In the November 4 1937 edition of the Deniliquin Independent, the Cafe was said to have been rebuilt and business was moved back there.
During the rebuilding, the cafe was temporarily operating next to the Deniliquin Independent and was damaged in January 1936 by heavy rain.
McCann’s Town Hall Café
The Town Hall Cafe was located to the left of Town Hall and can be seen in several postcards of Town Hall, the spot is now shrubs and lawn.
The Cafe existed into at least the 1930’s
Ads for the Napier Cafe started appearing in The Independent in December 1925.
Andronico Brothers were the Proprietors and their ads offered patrons the following
Best Fruit Procurable
Cool Fountain Drinks
Best Brands of Confectionery
Big variety in Ice Cream Specials and Sundaes
Orders taken for Poultry
Specialty Cooked ‘Pineapple’ Hams
Fishing and Picnic Parties catered for
Meals at all hours
Happy World Cafe
Happy World Cafe existed in Wellington Plaza.